Friday, July 17, 2009

Another week has come and gone...

I have been really busy this week with my ESL teaching. I really do love this job. It's darn rewarding. I started with a 5 year old and a 2 year old (both cutie pies!!!!) fresh to the USA from Sweden a couple of weeks ago. When I started with them, neither knew any English ( and mom's English is very limited). So, it's been an adventure!! :) But I've seen so much progress with both children, esp. the 5 year old because he really WANTS to learn English. Along with them learning English, I'm learning many words in Swedish...by accident. It's neat that it's part of my heritage. It's really fun. Oh and the company I work for serves more than just Swedish speaking students. I've just gotten very lucky to get most of the Swedish students due to my other students telling new people about me when they get to town.

Abhay started playing tennis again a few weeks ago. He played a lot in India and while he was getting his Master's Degree at Michigan Tech...but didn't not play any time that I have known him. His friends Sangram and Suresh invited him to play along with them and another guy. He plays two evenings a week and I know he really enjoys it!

We took the opportunity to check out the county fair Wednesday night after work. It was really hot and quite crowed. We ate good food: BBQ Ribs/Cornbread for me, Chicken/Stuffing for Abhay, we shared a funnel cake, and I had a corn dog (my favorite fair food) on the way out. They serve stuff here at the fair that you can't get in Minnesota and likewise. I sure did miss the walleye fry and uffda tacos from my hometown fair this year. :(

We have a weekend planned with both relaxing and fun with friends. Perfect weekend, in my book!!

--MMR

No comments: