Monday, October 20, 2008

Smells

Smells have played a big part of our life lately, in good ways and bad ways.

Many of you know the previous owners of our house had pets. A DUCK and a cat. The cat ran amuck throughout the house, and left fur everywhere it went. Abhay and I seriously doubt they ever cleaned up cat hair in the 2 years that they lived in the house. Abhay is SERIOUSLY allergic to cat and dog fur...so it created a little issue for us. The carpets were the biggest chore for us. After vacuuming 4 or 5 times, shampooing 2 x, febreezing everything, and oil scented plug ins, we have it under control. Oh, and cleaning enough fur from baseboards, vents, etc... to make a cat hair blanket. Poor guy, can finally live in here without running a temp. and sneezing his head off.

While opening boxes and bags, we ran across smells from many places in our lives. My wedding dress smelled like TRF, our traditional Indian clothes smelled like India, school boxes smelled like Red Lake, some garage items smelled like Bemidji, bedding smelled like our apt. It's amazing how a smell can bring you back to a time and place in your life. Almost like how a song can bring you to a certain time and place in your life. I always love those experiences.

Abhay and I walked in the house from running errands yesterday and Abhay exclaimed "This smells like OUR house!!" He's so right, it finally does. It feels so good to say OUR HOUSE.

1 comment:

The Morgan Family said...

Sooooo cute!
Your post is a great blog.
When I open our suitcases from staying at my mom & dad's house, it smells like their house. This past weekend we stayed at Brad's mom's and our stuff smelled like her house. When I open boxes of Brad's high school stuff (memorabilia and such), I can smell how he used to smell back then. It takes me back to the smell of his old Ford. That's one of my favorite smells, just all the good memories from yesteryear when we were young. When he'd go out west for Arctic Cat, I'd spray the pillow with his cologne (turn it over to douse the strong scent), and fall asleep holding it.
GREAT BLOG!
and I'm glad Abhay can breathe again.