Saturday, April 26, 2008

We're in the South....

Before moving to Indiana I don't think either of us realized we'd be living in the south. When I say south I mean southern living styles and customs. We both knew full well where Columbus was located, 90 miles from Louisville, Kentucky...but it just never connected to me. I assumed it would be like Ohio, or Michigan here. Not so much.

Everyone here speaks in southern drawls. Ones that have lived here their whole lives have even bigger accents. Everyone says yes hun, thanks hun. Every radio station, besides two, are country stations (one classic rock...and one top-40 80's mix...guess which one I listen to). The serve biscuits and sweet tea where you go. There are many bbq restaurants in this town of 40,000 people. Men open up doors for women. People shake hand with one another. There are "hick guys" with "hick trucks." I could go on and on...

The clincher happened last night while Abhay and I were out for dinner. All of a sudden, in the middle of a very busy Friday evening, the restaurant staff stopped what they were doing and started line dancing to a Terri Clark song. Right in the middle of the restaurant. And it was organized.

By saying all these things, I'm not saying they are all bad. Just different. Very different from what both of us are used to.

--Mandy

2 comments:

The Morgan Family said...

LOL - that's the feeling Brad and I got with Minnesooooootah.
LOL.
'Cept it wasn't a southern thing - It was like a Canadian/Western thing.
LOL - You know, Brad's boss wears cowboy boots, and of course there's the accent (that yes, I know, you don't have, right? It's everyone else right Mandy?) There's the "hick" hayrides or booze-cruises, where Andy Olson's driving the tractor and the guys are lighting fires off the back.
I don't know, there's the girl mullet masterpiece sighting at a Bachelorette party, folloed by the Gal Mullet dancing with the Guy Mullet at the "rusty nail"... Should I mention the electrical cords hanging out of our cars keeping their engines alive in the bitter cold weather?
LOL - culture shock. Not necessarily a bad thing - just different - I totally understand. And trust me we'll totally miss those booze cruises, *someday!
All our love!

The Morgan Family said...

ooftah, was that long!