Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween

My Halloween day started out by waiting in line for 2, yes 2, hours at the Bartholomew County courthouse to early vote. It's so nice Indiana has that option. I already know Tuesday is gonna be a crazy day for me, so I decided to go and vote early and avoid lines at the poles. I cannot imagine what they are going to be like Tuesday. I was/am very proud to vote. I'm not going to get into who I voted for. I take voting very seriously, more so this year than ever. I feel like I am the voice for Abhay, who cannot vote, as well as many of our friends that are not citizens. I'm eager to see how this political race is going to turn out.

Halloween evening trick or treaters began showing up at our door at 5pm. And they came in DROVES! At 6:45 we were already out of candy and had to shut off our lights, lock the doors, and leave the house. We thought we were prepared enough with 2 HUGE Sam's Club bags of candy as well as 3 other "normal" size bags of fun size candies. We were proven wrong. We figure we gave out candy to 300 kids...at least. We knew our housing development has a lot of kids in it (which is a reason why we bought this house in the first place), but we never imagined we'd have THAT many kids come. We had a lot of fun passing out candy. We saw some VERY creative costumes. Our top three were:
1. A garbage can--the rolling kind cities provide
2. A whoppie cushion
3. Indiana Jones--complete with the fedora and a whip

Halloween brings back so many great memories for me as a child. Costumes in northern Minnesota always had to be creative...leaving room for snowsuits, hats, gloves, boots, etc. My parents didn't have a lot of money so going to the store and buying outfits was out of the question. But we always had cool costumes and had a blast.

I hit the Target clearance racks this morning and found loads of cool Halloween stuff for 50%. I know if I waited a couple more days it would be less, but selection wouldn't be as great as it was today. I can't wait to use it all next year.

We're enjoying a bit of a Indian summer here in Indiana right now. The past couple of days it's been in the low 70's. Right now Abhay is outside in the driveway washing the inside and outside of his Kia. Hopefully he'll move onto my car... Just another reason why we LOVE having our own house.

1 comment:

The Morgan Family said...

good girl with the clearance shopping thing!!! WE HAD 15! JUST 15 trick or treaters!!! YOU BELIEVE THAT???